I don’t know about you, but I could use some comfort food right about now. Nothing satisfies that desire like these chocolate chip cookies. About 95% of the time you’ll see me eating clean but these are the exception to the rule. If you balk at seeing Crisco in the ingredients, don’t even bother making them. This is not a recipe where you try to substitute an ingredient to make them healthier. Alternative flour won’t do, egg equivalents are definitely not equivalent. Trust me on this.
But if we’re honest with ourselves, we all eat crap on occasion that include questionable ingredients. At least maybe knowing the ingredients will keep you at eating a handful instead of the entire batch.
To quote my mother’s famous words, ” we don’t eat them that often.”
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie sheet
- Cooling rack
- Electric mixer
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup Crisco
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter and Crisco
- Add both sugars, mix
- Add water and vanilla
- Add one egg at at time, mixing after each egg
- Add salt, baking soda and one cup of flour and mix
- Add the rest of the flour one cup at a time until thoroughly mixed
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Scoop equal size cookie dough, not overcrowding your sheet
- Bake for 8 minutes and remove from oven. They will not look done. They are! Let them cool 10 minutes on the cookie sheet before placing on a cooling rack.
What else makes these cookies amazing? The materials you use to make them. Not all kitchen products are created equal! The size of your cookie scoops and the quality of your cookie sheet will affect how your cookies turn out. Below is what I am using.