I love the spring season. The sun is shining and everything is green but I could do without the sneezing, the watery eyes, and the itchy nose.
This season I am prepared to fight back the best I can against ol’ Mother Nature and get through this season without suffering too much. I really don’t like taking meds unless absolutely necessary, so these are the natural remedies keeping me well.
- Neti Pot, Neti Pot, Neti Pot! Flushing out my nasal passages with salt water is keeping my nasal passages moisturized and flushing out the allergens that I breathe in all day. My kids haven’t quite got this down so I use prepackaged nasal irrigation for them.
- Shower at night. After a day outside, the pollens and dust are stuck to my clothes and hair. Showering at night keeps them off my pillow.
- Spicy food. It doesn’t prevent any of my allergy symptoms but I reach for the spicy mustard or chili powder to work as a decongestant. Oh darn, more sushi nights to have wasabi work its magic.
- Peppermint tea. It acts as a decongestant, and substances in peppermint contain anti-inflammatory and mild antibacterial components. The steam helps break up mucus. Fun.
- Probiotics. I’m not positive how much of an effect this one is working, but it can’t hurt. I’ve read a lot about the connection between an imbalance in the immune and digestive system causing allergies. I love Greek yogurt and kefir and already include it in my diet, so I’ve stepped this up a notch.
If you have more natural remedies that work for you, please share!