This is a great recipe that can satisfy a hungry family or be made in bulk for a party. I challenge the pickiest eater to forkful of this deliciousness! The pork is so easy I’m almost embarrassed to call it a recipe. When I make this it sits in the slow cooker all day and stays moist in its own juices (aka fat drippings). If you want a little bit of a healthier option, you can make ahead and let cool in the fridge. A layer of fat will form on top that you can scrape off and throw away.
What makes the pork even more amazing is the Sweet and Sassy BBQ Sauce to mix with it. The sauce is heavenly and you will want to bookmark this page, pin it, write it on your hand-something. It’s too good to miss. Make it now, thank me later.
- 3 lb. pork butt or shoulder*
- 1 handful of chopped basil leaves (I use about half of the bunch that I buy at the store)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. of liquid smoke
- Hawaiian sweet rolls or hamburger buns
I use a 3lb roast to feed my family of four with plenty enough leftover for another meal. To feed a large party, I figure .25 lbs per person. That’s assuming they are eating it on a roll and with other sides. There is no science behind this, it’s just what has worked for me.
Buying pork for this can be confusing. Why is a shoulder and a butt the same thing!? The “butt” cut of pork is no where near the butt of the pig! But you will often find them labeled one or the other, or sometimes both. When in doubt, ask the butcher what is his best cut for pulled pork cooked in a slow cooker.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Shred pork mix
- Add ½-1 cup of BBQ sauce (recipe below)
- Serve on rolls (Hawaiian sweet rolls or hamburger buns) with BBQ sauce
Sweet and Sassy Barbeque Sauce
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp onion powder
Mix ingredients with a whisk
[…] Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Sweet and Sassy BBQ Sauce […]