I have had rave reviews on this macaroni salad. Some like it for its sweet first impression and others enjoy the spicy kick it leaves you with. A couple of hints when making any macaroni salad:
- Mix your dressing completely before adding any other ingredients. This helps you get just the flavor you want without having to work around chunks of noodles and veggies.
- If you are using red onions, soak them in cold water for 10 minutes before adding them to your dish. Sometimes their flavor can be overpowering and this can tame their “bite” a bit.
- If making ahead to serve later in the day, reserve about ½ cup of dressing to mix in right before serving. The noodles tend to soak up some of the dressing and this will perk it right up.
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup diced red onion
- 4 cups of dry elbow noodles
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use light, but I bet the real stuff will make it even creamier)
- ¾ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt (fat-free sour cream also works as a substitute)
- 2 ¼ tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¾ tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- Cook noodles according to package directions
- Mix dressing ingredients
- Add cooked noodles and other ingredients
- Chill until ready to serve
**This recipe serves a lot. If you are making it for a small crowd, cut the recipe in half.**